Today, I finally got a chance to install Dragon Naturally Speaking, the program I intend to use to transcribe my files. It took longer than I thought to get it set up, and since the program is still learning, the files take quite a bit of editing before they're even in rough draft form. However, it's still less time consuming than transcribing it myself would be, and I'll be spending less overall time in front of the computer than if I were composing it there. This is important, given my Kung Fu Panda's current dislike for me spending any length of time on the computer unless he's asleep.
I managed to get about half of the files transcribed tonight, giving me about 2,500 words. If this trend continues, that means I only got about 5,000 words written the first week. I'm going to have to step up the production if I want to come close to my goal! I might have to start carrying the voice recorder with me, even in the house, and dictate more whenever I get a few moments. Then, I can transcribe it at the tail end of my usual evening transcription work. I'll test that process out tomorrow.
So far, the work is very dialogue-heavy, which displeases me. I'm trying to work in as much concrete description as possible. The important thing is to remind myself that this is just a rough draft. I need to concentrate on working my way through all the plot points I've planned. Then, if there's time, I can go back and flesh it out and/or move sections around.
On the positive side of things, I'm learning that it's possible to work extra writing into my existing schedule fairly painlessly.